Since blood is not something that we see on a daily basis, one may not think or bother to understand what blood is actually about unless in case of an injury or God forbid, an accident. Now we know that our heart pumps the blood required for our body. Blood provides oxygen and nutrients to every cell of our body.
There is no substitute for human blood and for this very reason there are certain concerns regarding blood:
- It is estimated that every 2 seconds someone needs blood.
- The blood type most often requested by hospitals is Type O.
- Sickle cell patients can require frequent blood transfusions throughout their lives.
- More than 1 million new people are diagnosed with cancer each year. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 units of blood
- A single pint of blood can save up to 3 lives.
Donating Blood is a noble cause. Doing so, we are helping other people in a not so harmful way and saving lives as well. As many as 3-4 lives can be saved when you donate your blood a single time. Imagine the no of lives that could be saved by the no of donations you can make. Blood is valuable and is always in need. You also get other benefits like a free health check-up; reduce the risk of heart diseases, burns calories, etc; One can donate blood for themselves as well in case one is in an accident or surgery and requires blood at some later stage. This is usually done when the blood group is rare and the procedure to do this is the same. If you are healthy and fit, don’t think twice, because it’s about your health and others lives. Take a chance.