Laboratory accreditation uses criteria and procedures specifically developed to determine technical competence. Specialist technical assessors conduct a thorough evaluation of all factors in a laboratory that affect the production of test or calibration data. The criteria are based on the international standards called ISO/IEC 17025 or ISO 15189, which are used for evaluating laboratories throughout the world.
Laboratory accreditation bodies use this standard specifically to assess factors relevant to the laboratory’s technical competence, including the:-
- technical competence of staff
- validity and appropriateness of test methods
- traceability of measurements and calibrations to national standards
- suitability, calibration and maintenance of test equipment
- testing environment
- sampling, handling and transportation of test items
- quality assurance of test and calibration data
Medilab has gained international recognition in the field of diagnostic services after receiving NABL accreditation (ISO 15189:2007).